Frequently Asked Questions
Student Organizations must register their club every academic year. For example, if you were a registered student organization in 2018-2019, your recognition status is active until September 30th, 2019. You may register your organization to gain recognition by filling out the registration form beginning in mid-August.
We encourage the formation of new clubs and have a whole page dedicated to just this! Read more on starting a club.
The Funding Board may fund:
- Travel to and from conferences and competitions related to the registered student organization purposes;
- Registration fees for activities, events or conferences;
- Educational programs;
- Support for organizational operations such as publicity, office supplies, and activities of the registered student organization ;
- Movies/films to be shown publicly or to advance the purpose of the registered student organization;
- Recognition banquets;
- Other activities consistent with the mission of the registered student organization.
Full policies and more information about club funding can be found on the Apply for Funding page.
There are a variety of ways to recruit new members. Here are a few ways:
- Participate in the Involvement Fair, held bi-annually (typically in September and January), by the Office of Student Engagement. Find out more information on the Involvement Fair page.
- Start a Facebook page! The power of social media is incredible!
- You can table in the SUB (reserved through Conference Services) and the Residence Halls ( find out how to reserve space on our Resources page).
- Print posters. Our office will distribute these if you bring 50 copies to 222 SUB by the set weekly deadline. Please drop off an original to be pre-approved before printing. Be sure to review our Poster Policy.
- Hold an “interest” meeting.
- Have a “bring a friend” meeting and a reward for those who do.
- Have food at your meetings and advertise you are doing so.
- If you want more ideas on how to advertise your event or to recruit more members, we have an Event Planning 101 resource that includes how to advertise. Find that on our Resources page.
- Ask your professors if you can speak in your classes about your organization and how to join.
- Keep talking about your club! Word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing tools around!
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. This will take you off our club directory and listservs.
- You will need to close your bank account. Please discuss with them how to do that.
If there is money in there, you have two options:
- Donate to another club.
- Give to the Office of Student Engagement and we will put in the club funding pool.
- If you have any social media or websites, please take them down.