Meeting minutes Oct. 11, 2018

  1. Call to order – Kim Obbink
  1. Introductions to guests and new members – Welcome
  • Kim Obbink – Chair of Outreach & Engagement and Director of Academic Technology & Outreach
  • Suzi Taylor – Academic Technology & Outreach, Assistant Director for Outreach & Communications
  • Julie Kipfer -University Communications, Director of Marketing
  • Allison Reinhardt – ASMSU Senator representing the Collage of Letters and Science
  • Larissa “Larry” Morales – Boardroom Bobcat
  • Nick Johnson and Emma Williams, former Boardroom Bobcats were noted by Kim Obbink and will still be involved through the grant process.
  • Mark Magee – Shared Services and Staff Senate Representative
  • Rebecca Mahurin – Division of Health Sciences
  • Mandy St Aubyn – Office of Student Engagement and represents the Office of Student Success
  • Michael Fox – Curator of History at Museum of the Rockies
  • Robert Hietala – Dean of Gallatin College and represent the Deans Council now called Academic Affairs Council
  • Maureen Moulchin - Academic Technology & Outreach Administrative Assistant
  • Carmen McSpadden – Leadership Institute
  1. Update on Carnegie Community Engagement Application activities – planning committee
    1. Update on Carnegie Community Engagement application renewal process
  • Sub-committee in charge of process for group
  • Application is due April 15th
  • Complicated application and responses are short.
  • Will need to identify 10-15 engagement projects, that include names of contact people to be interviewed.
  • Mandy updated group on who she has spoken too: “Campus tour” includes University Council, Dean’s Council, Presidents Executive Council – going to Senate soon and informing these councils about the renewal process and advise them if they have engagement examples or things going on in their areas to contact the committee.
  • Kim went to Faculty Senate. Response was ok…they asked good questions. There is a a new Activity In-site page being created which is the software where faculty reports the work they are doing for their promotion and tenure documents. Chris Fastnow is working on this page. The library asked for someone to come and meet with their faculty and discuss Engagement rather than Outreach. Florence Dunkle is going to do that on Wednesday, October 10th. Becky received an invite from the group Common Thread works in Native American communities on research projects.
  • Mandy coordinated a larger steering committee inviting people from all of the colleges and larger units that do Outreach & Engagement in the area. Gallatin College needs to be contacted and a presentation given in the near future.
  1. Outreach and Engagement faculty and staff award nominations – process and dates
    1. Outreach and Engagement Awards given at the Spring Convocation in Methods
    2. One award for faculty and one award for staff
    3. Information on how to nominate is located on the Provost Home page – Spring Convocation 2019 – Call for Award Nominations
    4. The deadline for all submissions is October 31, 2018
    5. Ways to get the word out as it is not easily found on the Provost Home page
  • Mark to make an announcement at Staff Senate
  • Link: https://www.montana.edu/provost/faculty/awards.html
  • List of past winners for the Outreach and Engagement Council is on our website
  • This council reviews these nominations we make recommendations to the Provost of our top candidate for those awards.
  • Service Learning Award that is managed by the Service Learning Advisory Board, so keep in mind when nominating
  • Two sub committees will be chosen, one for the staff nominations and one for the faculty nominations
  • Put it in MSU Today, Student Page and Allison will make an announcement at Student Senate. Julie to help promote.
  • Nomination process:
  1. Log in with Net ID and password
  2. Submit completed application to consist of:
  3. Nomination letter
  4. Current vita (not to exceed 8 pages)
  5. Abstract of not more than 200 words (to be included in the Provost’s Excellence in Outreach Annual Report)
  6. Two letters of support – one from nominee’s current supervisor
  7. Seed-grant Application review process

Kim gave background briefing on Seed-grants and how it came to be at MSU.  This council looked at a lot of different universities to see how they were promoting Outreach and Engagement at their institutions.  Many of them did Seed-grants to help people get started with new projects.  This Council went to the President and proposed the idea that we ask for Seed-grants in the amount of $5,000.00 awards. The President funded for 3 years, we did 4 awards per year for 3 years. Last year there was no funding. This year, there was an opportunity to ask for one-time investment dollars, we went back and asked for another $20,000.00.  Nick and Emma gave the presentation at the all Council Meeting, the President got excited and offered up another $15,000.00 making a total of $35,000.00 to give away.

  • Seventeen applications to review
  • Becky and Suzi to chair sub-committees to identify top 5 from each group
  • Deadline to notify applicants is October 24th
  • Money can be spent on students, not faculty
  • Seed-grant scoring matrix form was handed out, and the criteria was reviewed. Suzi to confirm the same wording is used on the scoring matrix as the RFP and update the form.
  • It was decided that the “Twin applications” will stay together
  • Suzi to confirm none of these 17 applicants have been funded before. The MSU Outreach and Engagement Seed Grants flyer was shared with the Council. This flyer lists the projects that have won awards in the past. The past winners are also listed on the Outreach & Engagement Council website.
  • Kim stated that the reviewing groups keep in mind that as part of Extension, Outreach and Engagement is part of their job…but these extension nominees go way beyond on another level, what would be required to do their job.
  • Allison brought up how the Council decides if there are similarities between past awards and new applications or does that not come into play? Keep in mind if this comes up in reviewing and bring before the Council.
  • Seed-grant processing –
    1. Split into two groups (Group A and Group B) for efficiency to pick top 5 (Council numbered off to split into two groups) Kim will assign those not present to a group.
    2. Chairs’ to send Maureen their top 5 applications, Maureen will upload to box (Top 10 Folder) to allow both groups to view the others top 5 applications and send out link to the Council.
    3. Two-hour meeting will be scheduled for Council to review for decision – Doodle Poll will be sent out from Maureen to schedule this meeting on October 22 or 23.

 

Meeting minutes, July 26, 2018

 Call to order

  1. Introductions – Welcome to new member Mark Magee
  • We welcomed new member Mark Magee from Staff Senate.
  • New addition of Bob Hietala, Dean of Gallatin College and Maureen Moulchin, Administrative Assistant for ATO.
  • Review members, affiliation and terms with option to renew
  • Reflect on renewing and be thinking about good people to ask as Representatives from your units
    1. Special Thanks to Dean Sarah Shannon as she completes her term on this council.
  1. Old Business
    1. Update on Carnegie Community Engagement application process – Mandy and others
  • Working group working on our reclassification as a Carnegie Community engaged campus. We received the classification in 2010, so currently working on being reclassified for 2020.
  • In the process of creating buy-in from Campus and that this is important. It is an elective classification compared to the research classification.
  • Went to various councils: Dean and Staff Senate. (overall enthusiastic support from Dean’s Council and Staff Senate) On the schedule for the Presidents Executive Council. Suggested to discuss at Communications Associates.
  • Had very informative conference call with a UM representative that went through this process in 2015. Was able to gather helpful feedback to assist us.
  • Assigned application to different areas to complete on timeline. – will submit in April will know by January of 2020.
  • Larger advisory group to be gathered in the fall, made up of representatives across campus as well as key partners like Western Transportation Institute to make sure this is as inclusive as possible.
  • Think of this process as one to help us move forward over all.
  • Meeting with Andrea was very helpful with insight and information. The Economic development section is being worked on collectively.
  • Small Carnegie group meets weekly, currently.
  • New Business
    1. Review Strategic Plan draft language – Discussion with Tami Eitle and Megan Lasso
      1. Areas of Distinction and Goals
      2. Assessment and/or metrics – helping people understand there is a scholarship to Engagement and a process in planning.
      3. Something to work on as a council would be to think about what types of metrics we could eventually utilize that move beyond outputs and move towards outcomes.
      4. Tami/Megan to work on language and get back to us/
      5. Cody’s meeting with Carina - Language 3.3 or the 3rd goal in engagement is: Foster a MSU culture of collaboration and engagement that values each member and improves the university for students, faculty and staff.
        1. Methods
  • Increased number of collaborations between faculty, staff and students
  • Increased co-curricular and curricular units and collaboration between the two
  • Increased engagement of the community with the intellectual life and arts of the university
  • Increased level of employee satisfaction and retention
  • Improve the campus climate of inclusion
  • Where to find the current draft of language
  • Diversity inclusion plan (Tribal Nations and others)
  • Strategic planning has engaged a consulting group to aide
  • Julie to mention something to Chris Fastnow at the meeting in two weeks.
    1. Timeline and Process for RFP for seed grants
  • $35,000.00 to give away
  • Past have been given out in $5,000.00 awards. We have asked people for a proposal that needed to include a student, a faculty representative and a community partner (external to MSU).
  • Seed grands are to be used as start up money or as next level money
  • Increase amount to $7,000.00 instead of $5,000.00
  • Kim will send out last RFP language and suggested timeline for review and email discussion before the next meeting

 

  1. Information Items
    1. Mo will work on schedules for meeting day/time for fall semester
  2. Next Meeting
    1. August 23, 2018

 

 

Date
2017 Past Minutes      
    October 6, 2015 October 21, 2014 September 25, 2013
    August 18, 2015 September 9, 2014 August 28, 2013
    July 21, 2015 June 25, 2014  June 20, 2013
  December 6, 2016  June 16, 2015 May 23, 2014  May 17, 2013
  November 1, 2016   May 13, 2015 April 23, 2014  April 18, 2013
  October 4, 2016  April 21, 2015 March 26, 2014   March 27, 2013
   September 22, 2016   March 17, 2015 February 26, 2014  February 27, 2013
 September 28, 2017  April 22nd, 2016  February 17, 2015 January 22, 2014   January 23, 2013

April 4th, 2017 -working
meeting - no minutes

 January 5, 2016 January 20, 2015 December 13, 2013  December 12, 2012
February 7, 2017  November 3, 2015  November 18, 2014 October 30, 2013  November 15, 2012