MSU Travel Policy Overview 


International travelers are defined as all students, staff, faculty or other participants (chaperone, high school students, students from other universities, alumni, or other non students) undertaking international travel under the auspices of the university.

This website is designed to support the international engagement of MSU students, faculty and staff in a responsible manner and to follow requirements and procedures outlined in the MSU International Travel Policy. All information applies to the following MSU campuses:

  • MSU Billings
  • MSU Bozeman
  • Great Falls College (MSU)
  • MSU Northern

University international travel means travel outside the United States organized, sponsored, or supported by the University, or a unit thereof, including travel by international travelers (as defined above) for research, teaching, sabbaticals, conferences, study abroad, internships, practica, student teaching, community or university service, or group travel whether accompanied by a faculty member or not, whether offered for credit or not, and travel by registered student organizations, club sports, or athletic teams. Travel supported, at least in part, by sponsored research grants, contracts, F&A funds, or other university administered funds will be considered travel supported by the University.

Note: The MSU International Travel Registry is managed and maintained by the MSU Bozeman Office of International Programs.

Click on MSU International Travel Registry to register your international travel.


Students (Graduate and Undergraduate) 

According to the MSU International Travel Policy, all individual students embarking on University international travel must obtain approval from the head of the university unit sponsoring the travel. Individual students traveling under the auspices of a Registered Student Organization must also receive approval from the Office of Activities and Engagement or equivalent office on the relevant campus.

All students earning academic credit for study abroad programs, whether MSU affiliated or not, must apply through the study abroad office of relevant campus. Students participating in faculty-led, summer, semester and year-long programs can apply through the relevant campus office as follows:

Student Requirements for International Travel:

  • All students must be in good academic standing and must not be on conduct probation for student Code of Conduct violation.
  • All students must attend an OIP & MSU Travel Health Clinic orientation before travel.
  • All students for the duration of the trip are subject to the campus Code of Conduct and other conduct rules established for the trip. Failure to comply can result in discipline and dismissal.
  • Students with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the affiliated campus officer responsible for administering the campus program
  • All International Travelers are required to have minimum levels of medical insurance through GeoBlue, the MUS system mandated international insurance provider. You can enroll online using a credit card.

    Visit the Resource Center on and enter your group access code listed below to review plan details and pricing:

  • Click here to view the MSU Student International Travel Policy Checklist 

Faculty, Staff & Administrators

According to the MSU International Travel Policy, faculty and staff are full and part time members of the faculty, contract professional, and classified staff employed by the University.

As required by the MSU International Travel Policy, section 303 International Travel Registry, all University International Travelers must register in the MSU Internaiotnal Travel Registry 30 days prior to departure. University International Travelers will need the following a time of registration:

  • Full legal name of traveler
  • Complete contact information abroad
  • Emergency contact domestically
  • Passport number and scan of passport
  • Complete international travel itinerary
  • Proof of insurance coverage via scanned copy of insurance card (GeoBlue International Travel Health Insurance)
    • All University International Travelers are required to have minimum levels of medical insurance through GeoBlue, the MUS system mandated international insurance provider. You can enroll online using a departmental PCard or a personal credit card.

To register and submit required documentation, please this link.

All research conducted abroad must be in a manner consistent with local laws. Funding for University international travel must be processed through University accounts in a manner consistent with University policies.


Health & Safety Abroad

Health and Safety Recommendations

  • The University reserves the right to suspend or prohibit University international travel to any destination by international travelers at any time if it determines:
    • Health, safety, or security concerns pose unacceptable risks
    • Travelers have violated laws, or regulations, or University policy
    • Other good cause
  • Click this link for MSU Bozeman Travel Health and Safety Orientation dates
  • The University recommends that all international travelers who are U.S. citizens register information of their planned travel with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  • All international travelers must have adequate health insurance coverage
  • All students, faculty and staff must comply with U.S. federal law regarding export controls and sanctions

Travel to Countries Subject to Travel Warnings and Alerts


Requirements & Resources

International Travel Insurance:

It is required that each traveler secure international travel insurance, as personal and/or MSU University insurance plans may not cover policy holders while traveling internationally, even if traveling on behalf of the University (refer to your Plan administrator). In compliance with the MUS System directive, the MSU Office of International Programs (OIP) offers international travel insurance through GeoBlue which offers affordable options to University Faculty, Staff and Students traveling abroad.


 All students, faculty, staff & administrators traveling international are required to attend the following:

  • Click here for MSU Bozeman Travel Health and Safety Orientation dates



State Department STEP

  • The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.  STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.  STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

MSU Safety and Risk Website

  • Safety and Risk Management is the MSU office in charge of mitigating risk across campus.  This office is responsible for reducing travel abroad risk for MSU faculty and students while traveling and working abroad.



 Questions or Comments?

International Travel Compliance - Office of International Programs
+1 (406) 994-7512