Montana State University

Associated Students of MSU Senate

SUB Ballroom 325

September 13, 2018

 

Minutes called to order at 6:00pm by Senate Speaker, Karl Swenson.

Minutes recorded by Madison Thompson

 

Roll Call: Abbot, Branch, Elias Gilbertson, Grimsrud, Hall, Halstad, Horton (unexcused), Johnson, Jurovich, Killian, Kothe, Lyon, Mulvaney, Murali, Pelkie, Reiman, Reinhardt, Schmitz

 

 

Approval of the Minutes:

 

            Minutes Approved

 

Public Comment:

 

Richard, College of Letters & Science: In support of 6 Mill Levy, have signs if you would like.

 

Michel, QSA Representative: Here to be gay and take notes.

 

Presentations:

 

Proposed 2020/2021 Calendar

 

Campeau: Here to explain 2020 and 2021 goes back to normal. Lengthen 2020 Christmas break, shorten 2020 summer and then go back to normal pattern.

 

Branch: Summer Session schedule?

 

Campeau: Currently reviewing, expecting to follow the same pattern.

 

 

Sustained Dialogue

 

McFeely: Program coordinator for Sustained Dialogue, building relationships between different relationship groups. Facilitation training weekend of October 6th/7th.

 

New Business:

 

Appointments:

 

Arts and Architecture Senator

 

Killian: One minute into, three questions and one minute conclusion.

 

Question 1: How will you represent the diverse students within your college?

            Approved

 

Murali: Q2: Why do you feel qualified for this position?

            Approved

 

Schmitz: What are your main goals for Senate this year?

            Approved

 

Rutuji Joshi:

 

Opening: Architecture major, Senior. Working with City of Bozeman to help current issues within city. President of International Indian Student Association Promote STEM within college and university.

 

Q1: President of the International Indian Student Association. Promoting Art showing within the college.

 

Q2: All of the programs that I am involved in speak to this.

 

Q3: Assist with helping people understand what architecture students truly do on campus.

 

Closing: Show how important Architecture is within the college and to the rest of the university.

 

Ryen Dalvit:

 

Opening: Double major Architecture and CET. Never been an architectural representative. Want to develop connections between college and the university. Create a different diverse group of individuals.

 

Q1: Currently we are lacking communications. Advertising in a way, taking polls as for the interest of students.

 

Q2: I run my own property management business. In charge of a lot of clubs before and have managed a band before.

 

Q3: Open new ways of thought for the Arts and Architecture. Focus on communications. Help change how different resources are allocated. Ongoing issues that we need to start fixing.

 

Closing: Great way of uniting arts and architecture and improve communication.

 

 

 

Discussion:

 

Mulvaney: Reason Ryen couldn’t attend tonight?

 

Thompson: Field trip to Seattle.

 

Johnson: Dalvit stressed inclusivity for both arts and architectural.

 

Halstad: Ryen know how to facilitate what she wants to do with all of her previous experience.

 

Gilbertson: Is Dalvit taking on too many commitments?

 

Killian: Caution you to judge someone based on their commitments. Dalvit did a very good job encompassing cohesion.

 

Schmitz: Impressive that she came last week and introduced herself.

 

Elias: Having an international student would increase the diversity of the student Senate.

 

VOTE: Dalvit:14, Joshi: 3

 

 

Administrative Reports:

 

Blossom: In Billings, this week with Board of Regents. Next Regents meeting in Missoula. Next week meet at Cathead in Stadium, student group of the game. Think about value-based decisions when continuing appointments.

 

Brough: Co-curricular engagement activity. Sophomore students interested in experience, come see me.

 

Thompson: American Indian Heritage Day, September 27th luncheon 11:30am -1:30pm. SUB Ballroom B&C. Just had a PACE meeting.

 

Turner: Qualified candidates for Finance Board. Working with program directors and coordinating meetings. 

 

Swenson: Where do you take a dog without a tail? A re-tail store.

Need office hours for new Senates. Email with edits from Judiciary council. Will have to you sooner next time. Robert’s Rules notes: raise placard to be on list. Only speak 2 times per question/motion.

 

Murali: Working with leadership institute, bringing in Scott Kelly. Finalizing other speakers. Formally indorse Noah Leckie, senator and on finance board last year. Currently a grad student in the college on business, offers a different perspective.

Senate Reports:

 

Kothe: Possibly switching to i-clickers for ballot voting?

 

Johnson: Speak twice on a motion but with an amendment to the motion, you can speak twice on the “new” amendment.

 

 

Unfinished Business:

 

2018- R-12 | Supporting the Passing of the 6-Mill Levy

 

Mulvaney: Tuition increases off the board or instate vs. out of state?

            Across the board.

 

Branch: Add Branch as a cosponsor.

 

Murali: Line 19, strike the word “and.” Add the word “and” on Line 31.

 

Lyon: What percentage do taxes go down if it is not passed?

            12 cents for every 1000$ of property tax.

 

VOTE: 16 - 2, Approved

 

 

2018-R-13 | C.U.P.S. Resolution

 

Murali: Add a comma on last line after ASMSU President.

            Passes

 

Schmitz: Love the amendment. Harder to come into office if we don’t have this amenity.

 

Hall: Notice that a lot of students already have their own coffee mug.

 

Elias: How will the cups get cleaned?

            Brough: Buss bin, then taken care of.

 

Jurovich: Front desk people do a lot of the welcoming.

 

Killian: Resolution decreasing a lot of single-use items that we consume. Thinking about moving coffee in order to talk to us.

 

VOTE: 16 – 2, Approved

 

 

 

New Business:

 

  1. Appointments (cont.):

 

  1. Finance Board At-Large

 

Killian: Leckie, currently not paying the University Student Activity Fee.

 

Mulvaney: Stipulation that if he were to be appointed, that fee must be paid.

 

Hall: Motion to move to club sports funding board at-large now and then finance.

                                    Approved

 

  1. Club Sports Funding Board At-Large

 

Motion to table “i” and “ii” until Mac gets here.

 

Hall: Amendment to motion, table just “i” until Mac gets here.

 

                        Lyon: One minute intro, three questions, and one minute conclusion.

                       

                        Killian: Like to hear what people that showed up have to say.

                                    Passes

 

                        Murali: Q1: Why is it important to fund student organizations?

 

                        Kothe: Q2: What perspective can you bring to the Club Finding Board?

 

                        Killian: Q3: How do you plan to avoid conflicts of interest?

 

                        Samantha Garcia:

 

Opening: Been at MSU since 2012, grad assistant and highly involved in rec sports.

 

Q1: Don’t know how much funding that these teams do on their own.

 

Q2: Not on any club sports, perspective seen mostly as students.

 

Q3: Part of what I do as a grad assistant. Rules and stipulations for the club in laws for board.

 

Closing: Important to be a voting member of this board, been involved as an advisor. Gives more of a voice in making bigger decision.

 

Branch: Considering all applicants?

            Yes, all that applied to be considered.

 

Lyon: Spent a lot of time around club funding board, good fit for the job.

 

VOTE: Barnhart: 0 Garcia: 18

 

  • Student Organization Funding Board At-Large

 

Johnson: Move to 3 minutes to look over applications and then proceed with the discussion.

            Approved

 

Killian: Like to see the application deadline extended.

 

Murali: Willing to extend deadline for RSO board, but need to appoint finance board.

 

Branch: If we have a risk of running out of quorum. I don’t think we will get better applications in the 48-hour extension. Move forward with what we have.

 

Murali: Courtney seems like a good choice, we need two students.

 

Jurovich: I say we wait.

 

Killian: Important that these decisions get made, but I don’t feel comfortable giving power to these students that may not necessarily want to be here. Motion to extend the deadline one week.

 

Reinhart: Like to brainstorm better advertising.

 

Murali: Don’t feel comfortable only considering these applications.

 

Hall: In support of extension, give them time to talk.

 

Schmitz: Echo Branch.

 

Reinhart: Amend to two Tuesdays from now. Tuesday 25th would be the new deadline.

 

Killian: Like this better than original motion.

            Amendment passes

            Motion passes, deadline extended two weeks

 

  1. Finance Board At-Large (continued)

 

Murali: Move to 3 minutes intro and 3 predetermined questions and one minute conclusion.

           

Hall: Two predetermined question. Up to three minutes.

                        Passes

 

            Hall Q1: What is the most important aspect of Student Activity Fees?

 

            Pelkie: Q2: What criteria will you use to allocate student fees?

           

            Murali: Amend… efficiently?

 

            Killian: Against amendment.

 

            Pelkie: Echo Killian.

                        Amendment fails

                        Motion Passes

 

            Noah Leckie:

 

Opening: Sat on finance board, study under Killian. Want to provide guidance for other board members. Sat on HOA board. Accounting major focused on auditing. Developed a questioning approach. Values important with the decision-making process but we have to make decisions on student consensus. Want to represent the graduate students.

 

Q1: Depends. Econ, can figure out what benefits the most students quantitatively. But then qualitative reasoning come in. The balance is key.

 

Q2: Numbers aspect. But trying to reach out to more students.

 

Closing: Love Finance Board. Woo.

 

 

Tom Loving:

 

Opening: Trying to get involved with ASMSU. Want to make sure that a lot of students are touched by this funding.

 

Q1: Making sure that student programs and activities are funded. Want to make sure that it is very important that we are paying them.

 

Q2: Make sure that the option that does the most good for the most students for the longest amount of time.

 

Closing: I want to do the most good for the most students for the longest amount of time.

 

Micah McFeely:

 

Opening: Studying economics and community health. Through all roles like to believe have gained a large scope of student perspective. Managed 11 student programming directors. Intrigued because this is such a powerful, dynamic position.

 

Q1: Being intentional. Make sure that fees are spent responsibly.

 

Q2: Being a good listener and other skills learned would benefit the decision-making process with integrity.

 

Closing: Love to continue involvement with ASMSU.

 

Discussion:

 

            Hall: Feels McFeely has a good grasp on how these funding request affects students.

 

            Schmitz: Endorse Todd Lackmann

 

            Johnson: Lackmann currently at welcome back BBQ, good listener with thorough eye.

 

            Killian: Endorse Leckie, McFeely and Lackmann

 

            Gilbertson: Supporting Lackmann

 

            Murali: Supporting Leckie, McFeely and Lackmann

 

            Abbot: Support McFeely and Leckie

 

VOTE: Lackmann: 14, Leckie:14, Loving: 1, McFeely: 16, Nells:0, Stutheit: 1, Wheeler: 4

 

Lackmann, Leckie and McFeely appointed

 

           

  1. Resolutions:

 

2018-R-14 | 2020-2021 Academic Calendars

 

Swenson: First Reading

 

2018-R-15 | Support of the Streamline Late-night Route Updates

 

Swenson: First Reading

 

 

  1. Bills:

 

2018-B-10 | Campaign Finance Updates

 

Swenson: First Reading

 

 

Senate Announcement:

 

Mulvaney: Quote

 

Killian: Bill to get ASMSU committee to track bills that state legislature is going over. Thursdays 9 -5pm, couches on the mall. Congratulations Karl.

Abbot: Karl’s birthday on Wednesday. Sing him T-swizzle.

 

Motion to adjourn by Senator Johnson at 8:49 pm.