Montana State University

Associated Students of MSU Senate

SUB 235

October 25th, 2018

 

Minutes called to order at 6:01pm by Senate Speaker, Karl Swenson.

Minutes recorded by Senate Secretary, Tiga Ward.

Roll Call

All Attending; Excused Kothe, Reiman

 

Approval of Minutes

Senator Dalvit Amends: Dalvit is not mentioned in Roll Call. Seconded. All in favor.

Senator Schmitz Approved. Seconded. All in Favor.

 

Presentations

Charlie and Audrey Cromwell; ASMSU Legal Services

They hold legal services on campus for 3 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, and Friday) and are here to help students with legal issues. The student signs a representation agreement which established attorney-client relationship and provides confidentiality as well as defines the scope of services. Sessions are typically 30 minutes long. They offer limited scope representations which allows students to cut costs. However, they will take cases in full situationally. They encompass most areas of the law including immigration. A few programs they run include a Clinical Attorney Program, Undergrad Legal Intern Program, and Special Projects and Outreach. They will be looking for a legal intern for the following spring and fall semester. Some of their projects include a DUI wet lab and Law Day. Their new website is at https://www.asmsulegalservices.com/. They want to add a way to where students can make appointments online to provide a more comfortable approach and way to pay for appointments. It will also help to remind students and to allow ease of payment. They are wanting to start the pilot during spring semester. Cost is always $10 whether it is for a 30-minute appointment or for full representation. Program is doing well as they have 13 appointments tomorrow (their new record for a day). They typically average about 15-20 appointments a week. Most common issues are criminal or Business/Non-Profit. Would like to consider the possibility for one of them to get the appropriate training to properly handle immigration law, to better represent our international students. Especially in situations regarding small drug or alcohol related charges and landlords/tenant issues.

 

Dalvit, if they already paid they are more likely to show.

Killian, can use an ipad to fill out information or to sign documentations while students wait.

 

Admin Reports

President - Taylor Blossom

Need to make a decision regarding the renaming of the rec center. Notify him if interested in the Board of Regents. Mass is going to be hiring for a lobbyist as well as ASMSU. Sent out email for needing volunteers, Tuesday having a call station for 6-Mill Levy. Email about a spring event and funding, the plan is the same but want feedback or concerns.

 

Director of Operations - Marianne Brough

More than halfway through the semester. November 6 is election day and means no classes. Airport shuttle has not been very operational and will be turning off the shuttle after thanksgiving. Might rent a van so we can bring and pick up students from the airport. Need ideas for an airport shuttle. Need ideas regarding move out recycling or removal. Idea is to put move out items into crashpad or hosting a garage sell. Thinking of potentially building a rail ramp on campus. Horton knows a film major that could help. This event could be MSU birthday party.

 

Vice President - Lizzy Thompson

Tomorrow and Sat at 10pm will be the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Will get a script and get a goodies bag. She will be attending and encourages students to join her. On Nov 2, she will be hosting a potluck about 6-6:30, can bring food or games. Will be sending out emails for these events.

 

Senate Speaker - Karl Swenson

Our overview of the current budget is on the website and a section for student leader resources. Going to do a feedback for the memorial at 4pm Thursday at senate office.

 

Senate Speaker Pro Tempore - Ambika Murali

Finance board request from the art and exhibit director due to rise in cost for catering. Funding board met and passed their proposals. Shirts is up to us as a senate if we want the shirts. There are currently no designs but if wanted then can start designing.

 

Senate Reports

Johnson, planning council met and sustainability is still in the strategic plan. Budget council will meet in spring regarding the strategic plan.

 

Horton, registration is tomorrow at 6am.

 

Killian, chairs and tables are from surplus so they are falling apart and want to make that area exclusive to learning. Wants to get some new tables and chairs.

 

Lyon, curriculum and programs committee approved a new course: Wilderness and First Responders Course, only 15 spots available (ACT 391/276?, 2 credit).

 

Reinhardt, involvement council revised grants and awarded individuals $5000 to each and is excited to see their projects. They will be reviewing a part of the plan.

 

Dalvit, involved council met with arts and architecture program, program is relatively unknown and want to broaden their audience. Have events going all the time, one on Tuesday - the band goes goth.

 

Unfinished Business

Resolution

2018-R-20 Resolution on Montana LR-129

Killian moves, Seconded.

 

Discussion

Mulvaney, LR 129 how would that change affect how we can help to collect ballots. Limits who is allowed to collect and thus limits those who can vote. Currently, we can collect ballots but this would make it illegal for anyone other than family to collect.

 

Killian, is limiting who can collect ballots and thus limits the number of students who vote. There are no known issues of voter fraud in Montana. There is less than 46% of college students who voted.

 

Roll Call Vote: 13-3 Approved

 

Bills

2018-B-12 Budget Reallocation

Branch Moves, Seconded.

 

Discussion

Branch, bill similar that came up last year that didn’t get confirmed? And why this bill settled on 3%? Swenson, it did pass and is currently in by-laws.

 

Abbott, it's making sure that everything is good to go and that we are covering our basis in our bylaws.

 

Murali, suppose to give budget oversite the power that it is supposed to have.

 

Roll Call Vote: 16-0 Approved

 

New Business

Bills

2018-B-13 Supreme Court Membership

First Reading

 

2018-B-14 Article 2/Article 3 Bill

First Reading

 

Funding Request

2018-Request-13 Arts and Exhibits Catering

Motioned, Seconded.

 

Killian, been getting higher attendance and prices are increasing.

 

Abbot, knows some students classes are going to be attending, meaning even higher attendance.

 

Johnson, shows how well this program is doing.

 

Roll Call Vote:16-0 Approved

 

Senate Announcements

Branch, election related events we should attend, Richards walk the vote on Friday, good way to get informed, Leadership Institute is hosting a workshop on social media and how it affects how people vote and will give tools on how to vote appropriately. Monday the 5th, 12:00-1:00pm, Sub Ballroom B.

 

Murali, shirts - Polos and Quarter Zips last year. Since most in favor, can start designs.

 

Meeting adjourned by Senator Johnson.